Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Foods


As usual, every Monday and Wednesday, Shir Ley and I will end up in the kitchen for the whole afternoon. (Sometime night as well)... I tried to cook Pumpkin Rice yesterday night.. although it doesn't really look that nice but my housemates said is nice lo. but I feel at least is better than mom's pumpkin rice.. =P hehe..Mom, I can cook for you when I go back.



Today we did Tau Fu Fa, to show to our "si fu" that we are those will do what we learn, not going to waste his effort. hehe.. Come.. teach you how to do "Tau Fu Fa" now. First of all, soak the soy bean overnight. Although we bought the exactly same brand soy bean as "si fu", the bean don't absorb and expand to the size it should be.. even "si fu" wonder why when he helped us check out yesterday. It doesn't matter anyway.

Put in the soy bean to the blender and add tap water of 1:1 ratio and blend it.
Pour the mixture into the pot with filter bag.

Gently squeeze the filter bag til the residue in the filter bag is dry. Then pour the residue back to the blender, add water again with the same ratio and blend. Then repeat the steps of squeezing the mixture into the bag. Throw away the waste this time.

Boil the soya bean and add sugar during this process.. MUST add, if not the soya bean won't have taste at all. Trust me on this, I tasted it without sugar. If you just want to drink soya bean, don't add gelatin in this process. For the quantity of sugar, for this small pot, we added 3 spoon sugars and 1 spoon of gelatin.. the normal spoon. It really vary with the sweetness you want, the more gelatin you put, the texture will turn out to be more like jelly.

It is very important in this boiling process, coz once it starts boiling, it will overflow extremely fast!!! Scoop off the foam formed constantly during the boiling process so that you can watch the boiling clearly. Once you see some bubble foaming, immidiately switch off the fire supply. IF it really happened to over flow or going to over flow, quickly remove the whole pot away from the heat supply first b4 you switch off the fire supply.


Next to check whether the soya bean will solidify or not, scoop a spoon and set it aside and wait a while ( approximately 15 minutes I guess). If it does solidify, means that pot of tau fu fa is okay, if not, reboil the soya bean and add more gelatin. Set the pot aside and wait for it to solidify before put it into fridge. That's all.

If it is not sweet enough, prepare some sugar syrup for it. To make it even more perfect, prepare some gula melaka syrup.

Shir ley cooked very nice chicken porridge for dinner tonight.. hehe..


To thank her for the nice dinner, I made dessert ( the truth is my mouth itchy, Shir Ley said I need Mopiko somemore lo.. very sweat).. Simple dessert.. I just like things to be nicely present.


If I have the time, I most probably want to try to cook pumpkin soup this weekend. Pinny, wait for my Pumpkin feast ya~

2 comments:

3cinr3b said...

i never really gave how taufu fa was made!!! now i know heh.

and your pumpkin rice looks lipsmacking good leh!!!

chin ying said...

hehe. Thanks Bernice!

I shall cook for you when we are both back to Malaysia. hehe..Let's have some party :P